[MaraDNS list] Deadwood cache file is not created

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:14:56 EDT 2011

It's your lucky day--today is the one day every two weeks when I
babysit MaraDNS (answer email, fix bugs, etc.)

> I would like to use the
> persistent cache feature but the cache file is not created.

I have verified that I can create a cache file with the configuration
you shared on the list in Scientific Linux 5 [1] (as an aside, have
you had any issues using Deadwood as a fully recursive client instead
of piggybacking off of Google's DNS servers?)

So, some things to check:

* Is Deadwood being killed with a TERM signal and not a KILL signal
(kill {pid of Deadwood} instead of kill -9 {pid of Deadwood})?

* Does your hard disk have enough free space to write the cache file
(remember, root is given more hard disk space than users, so root can
still write files when other users can not)?

* Does your system have the appropriate files in /etc/init.d and
/etc/rc.d to ensure Deadwood is properly stopped when the system is
rebooted?

- Sam

[1] http://samiam.org/blog/20110324.html