[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS 2.0.03 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 08:24:57 EDT 2011

I have released MaraDNS 2.0.03 today.

This incorporates six months' worth of bugfixes:

* ANY queries that do not fit in 512 bytes are now properly truncated

* RFC2317 hostnames with slash characters ('/') are now supported

* MaraDNS is now fully installed when 'make install' is invoked (at
least on CentOS 5)

* DDIP MX problem records now show hostname

* Correctly handle IXFR and AXFR requests sent over UDP (the UDP
server now always marks these as being truncated)

* Documentation updates

* Give information on how to RTFM (correct manpage pointed out) if a
csv2 file doesn't parse

* Added support for --pid=/path/to/file to Duende (courtesy Yarin)

* ipv6 fixes applied

* Duende bugfix courtesy Nicholas Bamber: Deadwood should now reap all
children (as long as they don't need a KILL/9 signal to exit)

* Updates to the SQA regressions

* MaraDNS 2.0 tarball is now xz compressed; MaraDNS 2.0 Windows binary
is now provided.

Some notes on the contributions made to Duende by Yarin and Nicholas Bamber:

* I had to add an "#include <strings.h>" to get Yarin's strncasecmp
call to compile w/o warnings.

* Nicholas: Thank you for fixing the issue with reaping children in
Deadwood.  I have backported that fix

* The reason why Duende doesn't actually chroot() is because this
breaks syslogging (at least on CentOS 5).  Nicholas: Make sure your
version of Duende correctly syslogs all of MaraDNS' messages; maybe
Debian uses a different syslog daemon.

* Since Nicholas Bamber's duende has added some new features that may
break compiling on some (albeit unsupported) systems, I am including
his binary, but with the name "duende-ng.c" in the tools/ directory

Now that I have released MaraDNS 2.0.03 (as well as the companion
Deadwood 3.0.03), I am going to phase back how much unpaid support I
give MaraDNS.  Instead of working on MaraDNS once every two weeks
without compensation, I will now work on MaraDNS once a month.  Since
today is August 5, my next scheduled day for unpaid MaraDNS work is
going to be a month from today: Monday, September 5.  The only
exceptions to this will be the occasional comment on this mailing
list, or any work needed to fix a critical security problem with
MaraDNS.

That said, since JFC Morfin has very generously contributed to the
MaraDNS cause every month, I plan on doing the following work with
MaraDNS before September 5:

* I will write up an essay on how to compile the older 1.4 branch of
MaraDNS and post it here on the mailing list.

* I will make sure "make install" does the right thing in Ubuntu 10.04
(their most recent long-term-support release), albeit in /usr/local