Topic drift: The death of Usenet

cooleyr at gmail.com cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 22:18:34 EST 2011

I don't see what is "sub optimal" about RSS.  It seems to provide most of
what you want...  Consistent interface, offline reading, a lot of control
over the display, and lacking the mass of ads found on the web.  Many let
you search for the topics you want within the app as well, so there's much
less need to scour the web for them.

Finding a good RSS reader has drastically decreased the amount of time I
spend using a browser every day, for checking the news and original content
from various sources, as well as following discussions, so it's not just a
theoretical  suggestion.

You're still out of luck as far as replying  to topics without creating
several disparate accounts,  and you'll need to open up a web browser for
that, but what can I say?  Life isn't perfect...  You can move from the
distant past into the future without losing much, and gaining modern befits
while you're at it, or you can keep trying to hang on until there's nothing
left for you.  It is a bit of work finding a good RSS reader, and  may cost
a few dollars, but it's a one time deal, and you just can't keep the old
Model-T going forever.