[MaraDNS list] Discussion: Putting ads on the MaraDNS web page

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 04:05:23 EDT 2011

> 1. a documented full fledge current MaraDNS off-the-shelf compilation suite
> installer. i.e.

The document to compile MaraDNS in Windows can be written.

> - a bundled zip file of the current version and adequate Windows compilers
> (or URL to the most recent acceptable version) you can download on a machine
> or on a USB key

The Windows compiler is actually a pair of .exe files which I have here:

http://samiam.org/software/MinGW-3.4.2.exe
http://samiam.org/software/MSYS-1.0.10.exe

> - a script to compile MaraDNS under Linux/MinGW/Cygwin and install it with a
> ready to run sample configuration.

> - hopefully a Bind.db format support.

This has been mostly done.  bind2csv2.py should convert the majority
of BIND zone files in to MaraDNS csv2 zone files (indeed, the reason
why I updated the csv2 format between MaraDNS 1.2 and MaraDNS 1.3 was
to make it easier to convert BIND zone files in to MaraDNS' zone file
format)

> The document should come with MaraDNS
>
> - architectural blocks and function descriptions.
> - help you would like to get from external developper.
> - a part to would-be developpers.

We can look at that down the road.  I would prefer to do that with
Deadwood; the code base is a good deal cleaner.

> This is to permit a student, a medium level developper to best try and
> discuss MaraDNS with fellow students and FLOSS discussion lists.
> And teachers to give an half-hour introduction to MaraDNS and to its code
> with little preparation.
>
> I am ready to translate the documentation in French if you can compact a
> clear document in four pages.
>

> 2. I have a crazy OS in view.
>
> It would be to integrate MaraDNS into an Inferno OS package.

I will see if this is something that can be done quickly.  I do
believe Inferno is POSIX compliant--it is done by the same people who
made UNIX after all, so I do not think it will be too hard to port to
Inferno.

I know "make" works a little different, as well as the Inferno version
of "tar", so a bit of research will need to be done here.

If you like Plan9/Inferno, there is both "Plan 9 from User Space" as
well as 9base: http://hg.suckless.org/9base/

These two packages can be put on top of a Linux kernel to give it a
more Plan9/Inferno userspace than the traditional GNU tools which
emulate a 1970s UNIX system.

> 3. In terms of IPv6 I am interested in RFC 6296. As an IUser (Intelligent
> Internet Use user) I support Fred Backer (Cisco is a good name :-)) and
> Margaret Wasserman concepts but whish to integrate them into the ... DNS in
> using digital names. Not much different from internationalized names but
> relating to an IDv6 (IPv6 local IID) rather than to a chinese name.

I don't have time to read RFC 6296 right now.

> PS. I mailed $ 100 and I would suggest others do the same. Our common
> interest.

Thank you very much.

Everyone: For personal reasons, I will not have Internet access for a
few days.  I will hopefully have 'net again by the end of this week,
or, in the worst case, next week sometime.  I will mail the list when
I am on the internet again.