[MaraDNS list] Discussion: Putting ads on the MaraDNS web page

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Tue Jul 5 04:25:25 EDT 2011

On 07/02/2011 11:13 PM, Sam Trenholme wrote:
> In order to ensure MaraDNS' continued maintenance and support, I am
> looking ways to get a little bit of revenue from the MaraDNS codebase.

I like the idea of PayPal, Payson, and other donate buttons. They may or
may not bring in much, but they certainly bring it to you instead of
relying upon the affiliate SPAMming that ads are.

At one time years ago, I had Amazon links for the "DNS and BIND" book,
and a couple of others which I myself read, used, and recommended. It
didn't bring in a dime. I think that maybe if anyone was interested in
the books they found a much cheaper avenue to procure them, although I
still felt good because I was contributing to the branding and name
share for the books in the marketplace.

Perhaps Adsense is a good program, a lot of people do it.

I would suggest having a shrink wrapped version of the product base
available - since it just makes sense (for me anyway) to actually
purchase a subscription of, for example, Slackware Linux - that way I
know I'm contributing monetarily, and I get something kewl for my
bookshelf collection that I'll never open anyway (coz I d/l it from a
mirror anyway).

There are lots of avenues you can use to have your product available for
online ordering, so I won't bother to make a dozen recommendations here.

What I will say in regards to ad SPAMming, is that I'll never see it
myself, it just shows up as empty white space in my browsers. I block
ALL ads - ALL ads, starting with basic things like Ad-Block Plus, and
many others.

I simply opt out of allowing that stuff to render (in any form,
including text) since I have no desire to see it.

Again, my personal recommendations are:

1.) Donate badges

2.) a mail order, shrink wrapped version of your business product.

In my no so humble opinion, it makes absolutely no sense at all not to
have item number 2 - regardless of if or how many orders will be
received - it's a product, therefore, one should be able to order it in
a box.

I hope that helps :)

kindest regards,

- --