[MaraDNS list] How to compile MaraDNS 2.0 in Windows

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:51:46 EDT 2011

Since JFC has made a generous MaraDNS contribution, in addition to making a
release of MaraDNS 1.0 which is current with regard to security (and
compiled in CentOS/SL6), I have also made a document describing how to
compile MaraDNS 2.0 in Winows 7, which follows.

Hopefully JFC will continue his donations.  If I get another donation from
JFC in the same amount in August, I will do the following:

* Add a document describing how to compile MaraDNS 1.4 in Windows
* Update MaraDNS 1.2 to be current w.r.t. security and compile in SL6
* Add full MaraDNS support to the Linux distribution of JFC's choice
available at http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/template/precreated

==How to compile MaraDNS 2.0 in Windows==

The way I compile this program in Windows 7 is with MinGW-3.4.2 and
MSYS-1.0.10.  These programs are available at the following locations:

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/misc/ (MinGW 3.4.2)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.10.exe?download
http://samiam.org/software (both)

These are both simple "I agree", "Next", "I agree", "Install"-type
click-to-install packages. Install MinGW *before* installing MSYS so the
MSYS installer can find MinGW; be sure to put MinGW in C:\ so the MSYS
installer can find it.

1. Download the latest MaraDNS 2.0.XX version of MaraDNS.
2. Put MaraDNS-2.0.XX.tar.bz2 in your MSYS home directory (which is
something like C:\MSYS\1.0\Home\Your name\)
3. Enter MSYS by double-clicking on the blue "M" icon which should
be on your desktop.
3. Then enter these UNIX commands:

tar xvjf MaraDNS-2.0.XX.tar.bz2
cd MaraDNS-2.0.XX/
./configure; make

At this point you should have a server/maradns.exe and a tools/askmara.exe