[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS in Debian

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:17:37 EDT 2011

I enjoyed reading the arcana, and the explanation of why things are
messy in Debian.  The issue with Duende not logging the PID actually
has been resolved by Yarin; the version of Duende included with
Deadwood 3.0.02 (and 3.0.03 when it comes out) does log the PID.

Since there is demand for this in the MaraDNS code base, I will
backport Yarin's Duende patch to the MaraDNS 2.0 non-Deadwood branch
sometime in July; if this is something that is useful, Yarin's patch
will also eventually percolate down in the 1.4 branch of MaraDNS
(probably by the end of the year).

It's akin to Webkit's lack of support for WOFF fonts.  Yes, the code
has been written, yes Chrome is using the code with WOFF font support,
but Safari is still using the older code which only supports SVG and
TTF fonts.

One issue with Duende is that it can't tell whether MaraDNS/Deadwood
happily started or not; the way to resolve this is to give MaraDNS and
Deadwood a "Daemon successfully started" message which Duende will
look for before detaching the process and exiting.  People are free to
submit patches to change this, or one can discuss money with me
privately.

- Sam

(I've been spending the last few days updating the design of
samiam.org; the arcana of HTML and CSS and the scripts that make said
HTML and CSS is easier than the arcana of C.  The hard part is that
the HTML/CSS is interpreted differently by multiple versions of five
different browsers.  "@font-face", for example, breaks really badly
when printing pages in Webkit-based browsers [Safari, Chrome, etc.])