[MaraDNS list] v=spf1 mx ~all

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:47:11 EDT 2011

One of the reasons why a Google search does not immediately come up
with this answer is because the csv2 man pages have a lot of
discussion about how tildes separate records, so clicking on search
and typing in, say, "tilde in TXT records" has the answer as the third
(not first, like it should be) result.  Then again, it is the first
result for a Google search for "Escaping tilde site:maradns.org" (or
the equivalent of typing in "escaping tilde" in MaraDNS.org's search
box).

Then again, the error message says the following:

The ~ character is not allowed in TXT records
Please use the '\x7e' escape sequence instead.

And a MaraDNS.org search for "'\x7e' escape sequence" has as the first
result the exact area of the csv2_txt man page with the answer.  But,
then again, cutting and pasting this entire error message and
searching for it on MaraDNS.org doesn't give the answer.

As an aside, one annoyance with Google is that they don't allow
symbols in searches, so you have to know the name of the desired ASCII
characters to get good results.  For example, to find out what $| does
in Perl, you need to search for "dollar pipe Perl", not "$| Perl".

If I have time tomorrow, I will update the error messages to give a
very brief example and to tell people to read the csv2_txt man page
for details.  How does this sound for the error message:

The ~ character is not allowed in TXT records
Please use the '\x7e' escape sequence instead.
For example: foo.% TXT 'Hello '\x7e' there'
See csv2_txt man page for details.

- Sam