[MaraDNS list] Split Horizon on the horizon?

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 12:30:05 EST 2011

Well, I don't see an email from Bradley asking to keep it anonymous,
so I am very please to tell everyone that Bradley has made a very
generous donation to the MaraDNS cause this month.  I really
appreciate the donation, Bradley.

I know I've gotten more acid over the years about MaraDNS, and I
apologize for my rude behavior.  When I started writing MaraDNS, I was
a very different person.  I was unmarried, and I had a lot of ideals I
no longer have today.  Over the years, I have come to understand why
the open source ideals make it a lot harder to monetize software
development.

This is a realization most open source developers come to sooner or
later.  Most of the time, the developers abandon their project without
any discussion with their users.  I feel the MaraDNS community
deserves better than that, and this is why I have fund raising drives,
so that, for a modest amount of money, the MaraDNS community continues
to have a DNS server that meets their needs.

Anyway, on to the feature request: I would love to do it Bradley.
Here's the deal: I'm not sure how long it will take to implement, and
I feel it's more important to get all of the bug fixes done so far
more readily available to the community.

In more detail:

* The Deadwood 3.0.04 release broke reject_aaaa and reject_ptr (a
couple of features it has so that DNS lookup timeouts don't slow
things down with some Linux applications).  I have already fixed it,
and will release Deadwood 3.0.05 this morning with that fixed.

* There's a lot of bug fixes in the current MaraDNS 2 snapshot and
it's time to get MaraDNS 2.0.04 out there.

* I will then backport some of the bug fixes to the MaraDNS 1 branch
and release MaraDNS 1.4.07.

After that:

* I've gotten a lot of requests for split horizon for MaraDNS over the
years.  If donations continue next month, I will gladly implement
this.

There's a lot that needs to be done: First I will need to carefully
add code to the fragile csv2 parser to allow split horizon tags for
single records.  I will also have to add the ability to parse split
horizon information in one's mararc file.  Once all that is done, I
will have to add a split horizon bitmask to each DNS record, and add
the code to look at the bitmask and correlate it to the incoming IP.

I can do it.  I don't think I can do it with only one month's worth of
donations, but I can almost certainly do it for IPv4 if I get
donations for both December and January.

- Sam