[MaraDNS list] Deadwood 3.0.05 released

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:08:25 EST 2011

My funding drive for November 2011 has so far been very successful.
Because of the generous donations from Bradley D. Thornton and AngelD,
I will be able to release updates for Deadwood, MaraDNS 2.0, and
MaraDNS 1.4 this month.

In the 3.0.04 release of Deadwood, I rewrote the code to handle
reject_aaaa (a parameter that disables IPv6 lookups; useful for
IPv4-only networks). The new code did not have the RA bit set;
unfortunately, Linux's rather anal DNS stub resolver rejects replies
with RA set, causing reject_aaaa and the new reject_ptr parameter
(which disables reverse DNS lookups) to break resolution in Linux.

I have updated the code so that RA is now set when sending out an
reject_aaaa or reject_ptr reply.

In addition, I have fixed the Windows release to have the
mkSecretTxt.exe program (needed the first time Deadwood is run) again.

As an aside, if the Windows release complains there is a problem
creating the Deadwood service, please ensure that the Deadwood service
is stopped, and that the previous version of Deadwood is disabled with
"Deadwood.exe --remove".

It can be downloaded here:

    http://www.maradns.org/deadwood/stable/

Again, thank you for your generous sponsorship. If the sponsorship
continues next month, I will begin to implement split horizon DNS for
MaraDNS. As always, please only give if you can readily afford to.