[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS Recursive question

Phil Harlow phil.harlow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:17:54 EST 2011

Hello,

I sent a reply to Sam but it may not have gotten to him. I'm sending
this one to the mailing list. I will try to explain what I need as
concisely as possible.

I would like to set up maradns/deadwood (whichever is correct to use)
so that all dns requests coming to it, are passed along to my real dns
servers to be resolved, EXCEPT for one special address, which I would
like to "resolve" and send back a local ip. Essentially, I would like
to have a recursive dns server which just forwards all requests to to
the big guys, except for a special URL (guzzoni.apple.com), in which
case I'd like to it behave like an authoritative dns server and send
back my own specially resolved URL. (192.168.0.199)

Eg, I ask for google.com, mara/deadwood checks the real dns servers
(opendns, googledns, my isp's dns) and returns their response.
But if I ask for guzzoni.apple.com, I would like to "resolve" it to
192.168.0.199.

I do not want to pass that dns request to ANOTHER dns server as the
example below accomplishes (I believe)

I would like it to send back a resolved address of my choosing
(192.168.0.199), only if it matches guzzoni.apple.com, and otherwise
just pass along normal dns results.

Is this possible?

Thanks so much guys!

-Phil Harlow