[MaraDNS list] TCP

Nicholas Bamber nicholas at periapt.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 17:25:49 EST 2011

Sam,
	I've got to the bottom of this (after dusting off gdb). The behaviour
seems to have changed slightly since I raised the issue and now the only
issue is this behaviour

? dig williams.periapt. @127.0.0.3 +tcp
;; communications error to 127.0.0.3#53: end of file

I have found that this is because the zoneserver was not permissioned to
pass on TCP requests. As soon as I set the "tcp_convert_server" and
"tcp_convert_acl" parameters it worked normally. I have no issues with
the documentation. The way Debian handles maradns config needs a
complete reworking and as part of that, it will be reasonable for users
on localhost to do these sort of queries. As such I will downgrade the
bug report to a minor non-upstream bug.

However there is still the question as to whether it would be possible
for the zoneserver to pass an error message to the client before clsoing
the connection so that the client can present a meaningful message such
as "permission denied".

--
Nicholas Bamber | http://www.periapt.co.uk/
PGP key 3BFFE73C from pgp.mit.edu