[MaraDNS list] A moment of silence for Steve Jobs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 6 15:26:22 EDT 2011

Quoting Sam Trenholme (strenholme.usenet at gmail.com):

> Have you had a chance to look at GNUstep http://gnustep.org ?  I
> wonder if GNUstep is a reasonable approximation of the classic
> NeXTStep interface or just yet another half-done open-source project
> that will never get finished.

I run it.  ;->

Well, I run the Window Maker window manager, and have the ObjC tools and
libs installed, and various GNUStep widgets.  And I'm a longtime fan of
ObjC, and wish it had been more popular instead of that unspeakable C++.
Unfortunately, for all their elegance, the GNUStep reimplementation of
Cocoa (derived from OPENSTEP) has just never gotten much mindshare.  Nor
has ObjC.

The KDE and Freedesktop.org/GNOME kiddies would rather redesign
everything, badly.  ;->