[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS2 and FreeBSD

Rick van der Zwet info at rickvanderzwet.nl
Mon Feb 13 15:39:18 EST 2012

Hi Sam,

After running MaraDNS1 on our Open Source Wireless Community/Region
Network (http://wirelessleiden.nl - 100+ nodes) for almost 2 years, it
is time to move one to MaraDNS2.

I have been trying to get MaraDNS2 to be packaged up, so that I can
also submit it to FreeBSD ports. The current progress is found here:
    http://svn.wirelessleiden.nl/svn/code/ports/dns/maradns2

Just a few questions I run into to get it going and packaged:
  1) Do you like to package deadwood and maradns2 together or do you
rather like to see them as two separate packages? I would personally
vote for the second option as one could now use Deadwood without
running MaraDNS, but it is your call to make.

  2) I am currently hacking ./configure to get rid of the
not-supported-os warning; see the attached configure.patch Do I need
to run some test-suites to mark it officially supported under FreeBSD?

  3) The FreeBSD default location for add-on packages is
/usr/local/sbin/maradns, how-ever this is rather lengthy in the
syslog. Maybe the patch as found in the dns/maradns port of FreeBSD
(credits to  n j <nino80 at gmail.com> [1] ), to trim the path off is
interesting to look at. It is attached as tools_duende.c.patch

  4) Do you want your website to be the default mirror or the SF one?

Thanks for MaraDNS! We love it for it's low-memory footprint, stable
operation, less-cpu hungry, authoritative abilities and recursive
resolving abilities.

Br. /Rick
[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/dns/maradns/files/patch-tools_duende.c?rev=1.3