[MaraDNS list] horde of midge questions

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:04:40 EST 2012

>        First of all you had concerns about running the logger in a chroot. I
> am fairly sure this is not a problem in Debian and I did not want to
> deal with it at the time. However I am lacking the specific experience
> needed to reproduce any such problem. Do you have any pointers?

It doesn't work in, as I recall, CentOS version 5.

>        It would be nice if you could settle down and stop having the deadwood
> directory with a version number. It creates a little bit of extra work.

The reason I do that is to make it easier to know which version of
Deadwood is bundled with a given MaraDNS release.

>        The comments at lines 1317 and 1338 of tcp/zoneserver.c are unhelpfully
> identical.

The first block determines if they have permission to convert a
DNS-over-TCP query in to a DNS-over-UDP query.

The second block determines whether they have permission to perform
DNS recursion.  If they do, the DNS-over-UDP conversion of the
DNS-over-TCP query will be sent with the RD ("recursion desired") bit
turned on.

If I were to write that code today, I would have used a separate
function instead of cut-and-paste code.

>        In the file doc/en/tutorial/recursive.html there is a broken link
> "customizing the resolution of some names".

Indeed.  What happened was that the 2.0 release of MaraDNS was rushed
and I didn't have a chance to rewrite that bit of documentation to
cover how it's done in Deadwood.

To summarize:

* Have MaraDNS run on one IP and Deadwood on another IP

* Have lines like this in the Deadwood configuration file:

upstream_servers = {}
upstream_servers["local."] = "127.0.0.2"

Where 127.0.0.2 is the IP of the MaraDNS server resolving "local." queries.