[MaraDNS list] horde of midge questions

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 16:05:04 EST 2012

>>>        First of all you had concerns about running the logger in a chroot.

>> It doesn't work in, as I recall, CentOS version 5.

> Is there any chance for some more detail.  Was it reproducible? Was it
> just the first message, or a random message. What version of syslog or
> equivalent does CentOS use?

I'm not sure about the exact details of what sys logger CentOS 5 has.
Perhaps a look at its list of packages will give some information:

http://vault.centos.org/5.7/os/SRPMS/

>>>        It would be nice if you could settle down and stop having the deadwood
>>> directory with a version number.

>> The reason I do that is to make it easier to know which version of
>> Deadwood is bundled with a given MaraDNS release.

> Any chance this is going to settle down or is it here to stay?

I have no plans of changing this practice.  Will I will guarantee is
that deadwood-* will always point to a single directory with the
current stable Deadwood release, so a line like this in the relevant
shell script should always work (and it's a bug if this doesn't work):

mv deadwood-* deadwood