[MaraDNS list] CVE status fo maradns

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:37:42 EST 2012

To add even more confusion:

I did a final tweak to the hash compression function yesterday.

TL;DR summary: Use MaraDNS 1.3.07.14, 1.4.10, any 2.0 release, or
apply this patch to an older release of MaraDNS:

http://maradns.org/download/patches/maradns-1.3-better_hash.patch

Long summary:

I made one release, realized that had problems, made another release
the next day, realized *that* had problems, and made a (hopefully
final) third update yesterday:

http://samiam.org/blog/20111229.html
http://samiam.org/blog/20111230.html
http://samiam.org/blog/20120113.html

And, oh, yeah you could argue that MaraDNS 2.0 has the issue, but it's
much much less of an issue since someone has to control the zones
MaraDNS uses to trigger the bug.  But, yeah, since they filed a CVE
for it, the latest 2.0 snapshot also has the bug fixed:

http://maradns.org/download/2.0/snap/

I'm going to make a MaraDNS 2.0 release with this issue fixed once
Deadwood 3.2 is out the door, probably in a month or so.

- Sam