[MaraDNS list] Deadwood update

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 14:52:01 EDT 2012

Earlier this month, Deadwood was unable to resolve
es-us.noticias.yahoo.com (Deadwood's recursion problems always seem to
be caused by either Yahoo or EasyDNS).

Yahoo has since fixed things on their end. Since I recorded the DNS
packets when Deadwood had the issue, I was able to make a SQA test to
reproduce it.

Once I did that, it took me over an hour to find the problem and make
a one-line patch to fix it.

It can be downloaded here:

    http://www.maradns.org/deadwood/snap/

I plan to work on MaraDNS/Deadwood again one day next month, after the
20th, unless a critical security bug is found.

Rich: Really quickly, I do agree that it would have been nice for
MaraDNS to handle malloc() failures more gracefully.  If you had
brought up the issue in 2006 or 2007, I probably would even had done
something about it.  You pointed out that you had an expectation that
a "security aware" program would handle malloc() failures without
bombing out.

In 2001, having a secure DNS server meant running a DNS server did not
expose you to remote root exploits, and this was the climate in which
I marketed MaraDNS as being "security aware".  Things have changed
since then.  Indeed, I no longer market MaraDNS as being security
aware:

http://samiam.org/blog/20120326.html

Everyone: This will be my last MaraDNS update or posting to the
mailing list until one day in July, after the 20th, unless a critical
security issue with a CVE number pops up.