[MaraDNS list] How to get MaraDNS and Deadwood to talk to each other?

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:36:16 EST 2012

> That said, I do see support and feature requests appearing regulary on
> this list by people who'd like to see MaraDNS being developed further.
>
> What do you see as needed to enable this? Just a maintainer to step
> forward?

Exactly.  For new features to be developed, we need to have someone
who is willing to take responsibility for all bugs caused by new
features, and who is skilled enough in C to fix any and all such bugs
if needed.

For example, let's look at this thread on the mailing list:

http://woodlane.webconquest.com/pipermail/list/2010-August/000635.html

Here, a bug was reported with MaraDNS.  Even though the person who
wrote the code causing this bug has left the MaraDNS community years
before, I took responsibility for the bug and fixed it.

> Or would perhaps a model
> with shared development (using git or similar) already go a long end?

I have no problem with a Git development model, as long as someone
besides myself is willing to be the person designated responsible for
any and all bugs in the Git branch of MaraDNS.

I don't want MaraDNS to have the same problems that Claws Mail, an
unofficial fork of Sylpheed, has: While Claws Mail has a lot of
features Sylpheed doesn't have, it also is a lot more unstable and
crashes more frequently.

> is maradns (other than bug- and security fixes) "complete" for you?

That is correct.  MaraDNS is finished for me.  I will remain the
person responsible for bugs in the code, but will only check the
mailing list roughly once a month or so to see what bugs have been
reported.

There's a pretty good chance that, once IPv6 is prominent enough that
my home internet connection gives me an IPv6 IP, I will make sure
MaraDNS and Deadwood are fully functional on an IPv6 network.  Yes,
this means I will probably have to add a bunch of ugly code for
glueless NS referrals to first look for an A record, then look for an
AAAA record if the A record is reported as not existing.

> your goals for it and the desires of
> the user community seem to diverge more and more. How would you prefer to
> see this resolved?

I would love to have a maintainer who is willing to oversee new
features being implemented and is willing to take responsibility for
all bugs caused by said features.