[MaraDNS list] How to get MaraDNS and Deadwood to talk to each other?

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 00:10:45 EST 2012

> A congratulations is in order here!  It is rare for anyone to ever announce
> that a software project, even just a specific version of it, is "finished".
>  Often, the goal is to just start on the next version and figure out what
> the next gizmotronic gonkulator to add is.

I think closure on a software project is important:

http://maradns.blogspot.com/2009/09/rant-putting-closure-on-project.html

> I agree on the routers bit.  I might have to look into getting Deadwood to
> build on the OpenWRT toolchain

You should ask Sebastian Müller about Deadwood on OpenWRT:

http://woodlane.webconquest.com/pipermail/list/2010-September/000672.html

I used to mirror the files, but haven't ever since Deadwood got updated.

Deadwood compiles nicely and pretty much any ISA out there (the coding
style is completely endian-neutral; all numbers are big-endian numbers
when stored in files or transmitted over the wire)

>  Is the reverse possible?  I.e., have MaraDNS configured to answer all local
> queries, but anything it doesn't recognize, to ask to a Deadwood instance?

Only in MaraDNS 1.  Here's a howto which explains how to do something similar:

http://samiam.org/blog/20111128.html

> Perhaps you should look at how the Linux kernel management works these days.
>  Torvalds has largely stated that he doesn't really write any new code for
> the kernel, but spends most of his time commenting on submitted code and
> reviewing patches and handling the releases of the primary branch.

I really don't have time to even look at patches and bless them :(

> While you probably don't even have time enough for that, creating some sort
> of "lead maintainer" positions, one for MaraDNS and another for Deadwood,
> might be worth looking into.  They would handle the existing codebases,
> process new patches and prepare new versions for release.  You could
> maintain final review before new releases (or even on new patches), so as to
> safeguard MaraDNS/Deadwood's history of being small and secure.

For me, it would be better if the maintainer took all responsibility.
All the bugs are their responsibility; just let me update MaraDNS 2,
Deadwood 3, and supply secuirty patches to MaraDNS 1.