[MaraDNS list] How to get MaraDNS and Deadwood to talk to each other?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Wed Mar 7 00:47:04 EST 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 11:36:16AM -0500, Sam wrote in
<CAJxgfkSvy425H5su7sQB=VKo9AwmAThgYFvdGvMz=Z=4e6Bc_Q at mail.gmail.com>:
>> That said, I do see support and feature requests appearing regulary on
>> this list by people who'd like to see MaraDNS being developed further.
>>
>> What do you see as needed to enable this? Just a maintainer to step
>> forward?
>
>Exactly.  For new features to be developed, we need to have someone
>who is willing to take responsibility for all bugs caused by new
>features, and who is skilled enough in C to fix any and all such bugs
>if needed.
>
>For example, let's look at this thread on the mailing list:
>
>http://woodlane.webconquest.com/pipermail/list/2010-August/000635.html
>
>Here, a bug was reported with MaraDNS.  Even though the person who
>wrote the code causing this bug has left the MaraDNS community years
>before, I took responsibility for the bug and fixed it.

While I applaud your responsibility in resolving this particular bug, I
don't think it is realistic to expect people to be around forever to fix
the bugs their own code introduced. People lose interest, move on to other
things, get married, have health issues, etc. etc. No one would blame you
for changing priorities in your life either, though everyone would be
happy if you stayed with your baby maradns as time and energy permits it.

Once a patch is accepted, it is the responsibility of the community to
maintain that code. Not that of the original coder (who might of course
have a personal interest in keeping it well maintained!), nor that of you
as the sole person working on maradns. If we can find a way to share the
burden, everyone will be better and happier for it.

Remmy