[MaraDNS list] How to get MaraDNS and Deadwood to talk to each other?

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 03:15:57 EST 2012

> Would it be agreeable to you if we put maradns and deadwood in a git tree,
> and at the same time branch them into a development / new major version
> tree for new developments to take place in while the community /
> maintainer(s) to be get up to speed?

Another very important point.  The community is free to have their own
git tree.  They are free to call it MaraDNS 3...although, I think the
name MaraDNS-ng makes a lot more sense.

Indeed, scrap MaraDNS 3/Deadwood 4.  Call it MaraDNS-ng or whatever.
You can keep the name MaraDNS in it.  I will link to it from
maradns.org and maradns.com, and even host release tarballs of it on
maradns's web page (with big huge NOT SUPPORTED BY SAM TRENHOLME
disclaimers).

However, one issue which has torn apart open source communities time
and again is money.  I ask for donations on MaraDNS.org.  I have ads
on MaraDNS.org.  I don't get much revenue from either, but just so
people know: Any and all revenue from these donations and ads is for
me, to defray my monetary expenses hosting MaraDNS and to compensate
me for my time and effort developing MaraDNS and continuing to
maintain MaraDNS.

I've seen a lot of open source types get upset that any money changes
hands with an open source project, so I want to make it clear that
yes, it's not much money, but I do ask for and do deserve being
compensated for my work.

MaraDNS-ng (or whetever it ends up being called) is welcome to have
their own funding drives and to develop their own methods on how to
split up the money.