[MaraDNS list] Possible bug found

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sat May 12 00:37:24 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:01:25AM +0200, Gerke wrote in
<A2668C17B612C444AA5D3F2BEA74FFDA1575A1 at duraserver01.duracom.local>:
>Hello all,
>
>We're using maradns for a couple of weeks now and i must say it runs
>very stable, but i think i discovered a bug.
>
>I must admit our setup is somewhat exotic, but it might concern other
>configurations too..
>
>We run mara 2.0.0.06 Win32 on Windows 2008 as an authorative server for
>a couple hundred domains. The zone files are exported from a SQL
>database and generated in the CSV1 format (because it looked simpler at
>first glance)
>
>I discovered when generating the records in the file in a specific order
>and the first A record is a wildcard record, a request to this record
>results in an error message from mara.
>
>Example zone file:
>
>Sexample.com.|3600|ns1...
>Nexample.com.|3600|ns1...
>Nexample.com.|3600|ns2...
>A*.example.com.|3600|192.168....  this record will not resolve
>A*.sub.example.com.|3600|10.0....
>Awww.example.com.|3600|10.0....

>I now generate the records in a different order, sorting the wildcard
>records to the bottom positions. All works well now.

Hi Gerke,

Thank you for your report and glad to hear that maradns works (mostly)
well for your use case :-)

To help find an answer to your report, can you please provide some
further info?

1) Include a full csv1 file exhibiting the problem and not just a small
sample like above. It is fine if you replace your domain name with
example.com in it, just so we won't have to second guess if there are any
other things affecting the resolving of those hostnames. The mailing list
will probably erase attached files, so if you can provide it inline,
that'd be great.

2) Which hostname are you looking up that exhibits this problem?

3) Which record type are you looking up that exhibits this problem? That
is, are you asking maradns for the A record or the ANY record, or ...? If
you don't know, the input and output of the nslookup tool used would also
be of use.

4) Not sure if it is related, but do you have "bind_star_handling" set in
your mararc file, and if so, to what value?

Thanks,

Remco