[MaraDNS list] How to resolve external domain names using MaraDNS in windows 7

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 13:37:32 EST 2012

> I have installed maradns in windows 7 machine, I have configured it, It can
> able to handle internal requests, But not external ones

> ipv4_bind_addresses = "127.0.0.1"

The IP address "127.0.0.1" is the loopback IP address.  Let me explain...

Once upon a time, there was a domain called blackdown.org owned by one
Karl Asha.  They were in charge of the project porting Java to Linux
(which, at the time, meant making binaries since Java was proprietary
at the time), as well as having their own IRC network which I never
cared for (then again, I never cared for IRC).

One domain name Karl set up was "warez.blackdown.org" ("warez" being
then-slang for pirated content), which resolved to 127.0.0.1.  Karl
had a page with chat logs where he made fun of people who got upset
that warez.blackdown.org was resolving to their own computer.

The joke is this: 127.0.0.1 is a special IP that means "the same
computer".  When you make a connection to 127.0.0.1, you are simply
making a network connection back to the computer which started the
connection.  The 127.0.0.1 on my netbook connects to that netbook; the
127.0.0.1 on my bigger notebook connects to that notebook.

You will need to bind to another IP; "0.0.0.0" means "all the IPs this
computer has" (unlike MaraDNS, Deadwood allows you to use "0.0.0.0"
since it shouldn't cause the problems 0.0.0.0 causes in Mara).

Back to Karl: warez.blackdown.org no longer exists, Windows won't even
resolve names like that any more, Karl Asha has disappeared from the
internet, blackdown.org no longer exists and was bought by a
cybersquatter, Java is now open-source so it doesn't need to be ported
in the Blackdown manner, and the LinuxNET IRC network no longer exists
(good riddance to bad rubbish, if you ask me).

I hope Karl has grown up over the years and no longer considers those
kind of childish jokes funny.  I also think it is sad when someone
like Karl who was a big part of the early Linux community falls off of
the face of the Internet, the way so many people do.