[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS and nproc limit problem

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 02:35:09 EST 2013

> I use gentoo with hardened kernel and mara 1.4.12

[Apologies if this was sent twice to the list]

MaraDNS 1.4.12 is outdated.  The best version of MaraDNS to use is
MaraDNS 2.0.07 (which includes Deadwood 3.2.03), which I released last
month.

Unlike MaraDNS 1, MaraDNS 2 only has two processes: One for MaraDNS,
and one for Deadwood, MaraDNS 2's recursive resolver [1].

Deadwood, unlike MaraDNS 1, only uses a single process to process all
recursive DNS queries; it uses the "select() model" to not require
multiple threads.

Information on updating from MaraDNS 1 to MaraDNS 2 is here:

http://maradns.org/tutorial/update.html

MaraDNS 2.0 can be downloaded here:

http://www.maradns.org/download.html

- Sam

[1] If you must use the TCP "zoneserver", more processes will be
needed, since "zoneserver" uses the fork() model.  Note that
maradns.org does not use zoneserver; I think it's optional.