[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS now has a RSS feed

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:19:22 EDT 2013

Even though RSS is probably slowly dying [1], I have added an RSS feed
for MaraDNS blog updates:

http://www.samiam.org/blog/maradns.rss

For people who forget this URL, it's also in the headers at
http://maradns.org; most RSS readers will be able to find it there and
point to the RSS feed.  The code for making this RSS feed is
completely automated, so it will be there for the foreseeable future,
even if RSS goes the way of Gopher. [2]

Note that only the first paragraph of a given blog entry is available
via RSS.   The blog indexing code already has most of the code for
summarizing entries; adding an RSS format for the blog index only took
about 30 minutes (including the time researching the RSS format,
verifying that time stamps do not need a day of week, and making sure
everything looks good in an RSS reader).  Adding an RSS for full blog
entries is too much work for what is, in truth, a waning format.

I think the reason RSS feeds are going away is because publishers
can’t find a good way of making money with them.

- Sam

[1] http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-final-farewell.html

[2] I actually had a Gopher server up for a few months but took it
down because it needed too much manual TLC to keep up-to-date:
http://www.samiam.org/blog/20121130.html