[MaraDNS list] uucp user, and the logger folder.

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:53:14 EDT 2013

> My "ps auwx" output shows;
>
> uucp     29449  0.0  0.5   408   708 C0- I     12:33PM    0:00.00
> duende-log-helper /usr/local/sbin/maradns (duende)
>
> What does duende-log-helper do with the user uucp? Shouldn't it run as
> _maradns?

Duende uses UID 66 for the logger process.  That is a simple numeric
UID in CentOS/RedHat, but appears to be the user-id for the obsolete
UUCP protocol in OpenBSD.

Changing this UID requires a patch.  I am willing to host to do not
make patches for OSes besides Windows 7 and CentOS 6.

> Additionally, /etc/maradns/logger/ folder is always empty, and I wonder
> what does MaraDNS do with that logger folder?

It’s a chroot() jail to sandbox the process.

> Is it possible to redirect MaraDNS's logs from general /var/log/daemon log
> file, into /etc/maradns/logger/maralogs ?

Probably, but I am not familiar enough with OpenBSD's syslog to answer
this question.