[MaraDNS] MaraDNS update: DNS-over-TCP now works in Windows

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 07:55:34 PDT 2014

I have updated MaraDNS to have DNS-over-TCP work in Windows.

For a while now, the "zoneserver" DNS-over-TCP daemon would compile in
Windows (as long as Cygwin was installed), but would not run.

I have fixed this bug. It's now possible to have DNS-over-TCP using
MaraDNS in Windows.

==Downloading this update==

The patch can be downloaded here:

http://maradns.samiam.org/download/patches/2.0.10/

The snapshot can be downloaded as a tarball (.tar.gz file) here:

https://github.com/samboy/MaraDNS/releases/tag/2014-04-26.1

==Getting DNS-over-TCP in Windows==

* Get Cygwin. Be sure to have the gcc compiler.

* Download the latest MaraDNS snapshot (see link above).

* Compile it in Cygwin: tar xvzf MaraDNS-2014-04-26.1.tar.gz ; cd
MaraDNS-2014-02-26.1 ; ./configure ; make

* Read this documentation:

  http://maradns.samiam.org/tutorial/dnstcp.html

==Why I did this==

Last November, an anonymous user requested to have DNS-over-TCP in the
Windows MaraDNS port. Nearly six months later, I finally got this to
work.

==MaraDNS timeline==

Unless a security hole is found, updates to MaraDNS are pretty slow.
Since I have a six-month-old daughter, and since I am not getting paid
to write this code, I have to put MaraDNS on the back burner.