[MaraDNS] Removing the Google ads from MaraDNS' webpage

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:30:00 PST 2015

When I originally put the ads on maradns.samiam.org and samiam.org, I
promised that the ads would always be unobtrusive and text-only. Well,
Google changed the ads they give their subscribers; what were once
text-only ads now have images in them, making them obtrusive and gaudy.

So I have pulled all ads from my websites. Yes, this is going to cost me
real money. But I made a promise to the MaraDNS community, and I can no
longer be a client of Google ad words and keep that promise. So the ads go.

I have replaced the obtrusive text + image ads with a single unobtrusive
one-line ad at the top of the MaraDNS webpages: "Support MaraDNS or listen
to my music" "Support MaraDNS" takes users to a page where they can make a
PayPal donation. "Listen to my music" takes users to my page where they can
listen to for free and optionally buy the music I am composing.

I keep the promises I have made to the MaraDNS community. That is why I
released Deadwood and MaraDNS 2.0 after I realized I no longer wanted to
define myself as
"The MaraDNS guy." That is why I still fix security problems in MaraDNS 2,
even though, as a single parent, it's hard to find time to do so. And that
is why I spent a lot of time this last weekend scrubbing all of the ads
from my web sites.