MaraDNS and NAPTR support

Duane duane at e164.org
Tue Sep 18 18:57:18 EDT 2007

Sam Trenholme wrote:
> Isn't e164 a site devoted to E.164, which is what NAPTR is about.

Kind of...

We have been operating an end-user enum registry since 2004, which means
people can go and list their phone numbers by way of a verification
call/PIN etc and then add SIP and other URL information to their enum
records.

> And, oh, if you want NAPTR in 1.2
> (or even 1.0, heaven forbid); forget it.  Both of those branches are
> currently in "critical bugfixes only" mode.

I'm not really looking for any version to support it, I just re-evaluate
our options from time to time to see if there is a better option out there.

> And, oh, if NAPTR requires the DNS server to do any of the regular
> expression stuff and what not, forget it.  I'm not about to deal with
> that kind of code.  CNAME was enough of a nightmare; thankfully DJB
> (and myself) were able to kill A6 and DNAME before they caught on.

No, NAPTR records are decoded by the remote end, there is a lot of
extensions to it (such as time of day stuff), but we only support basic
information.

eg.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;5.5.3.8.5.5.5.0.0.8.1.e164.org.        IN      NAPTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
5.5.3.8.5.5.5.0.0.8.1.e164.org. 600 IN  NAPTR   200 10 "u" "E2U+SIP"
"!^\\+1800(.*)$!sip:1800\\1 at tf.voipmich.com!" .
5.5.3.8.5.5.5.0.0.8.1.e164.org. 600 IN  NAPTR   200 10 "u" "E2U+SIP"
"!^\\+1800(.*)$!sip:1641641800\\1 at sip.tollfreegateway.com!" .

At this stage you'd have a hard time killing NAPTR records, while no
registry supports all numbers in the world, there is a lot of routing
information being stored in DNS.

One last thing, at the moment we use rsync over SSL for zone transfers
etc, because as far as we know there is no option in any DNS server to
do secure IXFRs or AXFRs. Any thoughts on this?

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://www.freeauth.org - Enterprise Two Factor Authentication
http://e164.org - Because e164.arpa is a tax on VoIP

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."