Problem with .fr domains [TEST check if server is really recursive]: answer refused from server (IN/SOA: fr.)

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 16:18:00 EDT 2009

> I made the two little changes you suggested, recompiled maradns, and it
> works just fine. As you see there I don't get the error anymore :
> http://www.afnic.fr/outils/zonecheck/zc.cgi?zone=difuzer.fr&lang=en
>
> Thanks a lot for your precious help, and I want you to know that I share
> your opinion about .fr registrars ^^ (and I think a lot of people do)
>
> Thanks a lot for the kind words.  So other people don't need to recompile
MaraDNS, what I started work on this morning is fixing things so the RA bit
which makes AFNIC upset won't ever be set if the user hasn't enabled
recursion (recusive_acl being set in the mararc file).

I will also make sure the RA bit never has a value of 0 if MaraDNS is
compiled with "./configure--authonly ; make".

The reason why the RA bit needs to be set for recursive queries is because
some brain-dead embedded DNS servers won't accept recursive packets unless
RA is turned on.

Before doing that, though, I updated the MaraDNS snapshot to have its
internal copy of the web page and changed things so the main code now uses
<stdint.h> for fixed-sized integers.  This sould fix the Solaris compile
problems someone saw a couple of months ago:

http://woodlane.webconquest.com/pipermail/list/2009-June/000323.html

More information is here:

http://maradns.blogspot.com

- Sam

I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email without being
compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you want this kind of
support. Thank you for your understanding.