WKS query handling for CSV2 star entries

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:02:36 EST 2009

>> I don't think a construct like csv2["*.ucmerced.edu."]
>> is ever going to work.
>
> And yet it does.  WKS records are the only problem I've noticed.

Well, you've found a bug then.  I will update MaraDNS so that the 1.4
and 2.0 releases don't allow stars or other characters that will
result in broken behavior like this.

You put a star in a zone file like this:

csv2["name.foo."] = "db.name.foo"

and have db.name.foo look like this:

*.name.foo. MX mail.name.foo.
mail.name.foo. 10.1.2.3

Note the db.name.foo.  Note that name.foo in the csv2 dictionary
index.  Note that there isn't a star there.  No star in the dictionary
name index.  Repeat: No star in the dictionary name index.

> It seems that star/wildcard records work alright except for WKS queries.
> I'm calling that a bug.

It's not a bug.  It's only a bug if you correctly use MaraDNS and
things don't work.  Doing something that no documentation tells you to
do like csv2["*.ucmerced.edu."] is going to cause problems, plain and
simple.  Telling experienced MaraDNS users who point out you're
mistaken that you're right and they're wrong isn't going to solve your
problem.

RTFM.  Don't assume things:

http://www.maradns.org/tutorial/man.csv2.html

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email
without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS support request is
any and all discussion you may wish to have about MaraDNS in private
email; if you want to email me to talk about MaraDNS then, yes, that
is a support request. I will discuss rates if you want this kind of
support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report.