documentation modification

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:56:13 EST 2010

> Under the initial compile and installation document it incorrectly leads
> you to believe that the make install will install the deadwood piece.

OK, if "make install" doesn't install both Deadwood and maradns in
MaraDNS 2.0, this is a bug.  This is one of the handful of bugs on my
MaraDNS TODO list to fix.  Other bugs are:

1) There is (or was) an issue with Deadwood resolving
urbandictionary.com.  The issue has to do with the corner case where
each packet Deadwood sees is under 512 bytes in size, but the final
reassembled packet is over 512 bytes in size.

2) There is an issue with Deadwood resolving Akamai domains, because,
while CNAME records are cached, these cached CNAME records aren't
actually used.

3) There is an issue with maradns handling ANY queries that result in
a DNS packet larger than 512 bytes in size.  MaraDNS does not give a
proper "truncated" reply, and it appears the tcp "zoneserver" program
can't resolve these names either.

4) The bug discussed above in this mail.

When am I going to fix these bugs?  Good question; I'm working six-day
weeks so it will more likely be later rather than sooner.  My rough
plan right now is to come out with a bugfix release of MaraDNS +
Deadwood once every six months or so.

Another thing: I am about to remove MaraDNS 1.2 and MaraDNS 1.0 from
the maradns.org DNS server.  The support lifetime for these outdated
MaraDNS has just ended and, while people are free to continue using
these releases, they will not be supported by me (not even to fix
security bugs or if they stop resolving google.com tomorrow).

MaraDNS 1.3 is still supported for critical security fixes for two more years.

-Sam