[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS/Deadwood update

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Thu May 23 20:37:24 EDT 2013

On 05/23/2013 01:39 PM, Sam Trenholme wrote:
> I have updated both MaraDNS and Deadwood. Mainly Deadwood.
>
> ==SQA tests==
>
> As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I will, once every few months
> do nothing more than make sure all of the tests run fine. That is what
> I did this month; both MaraDNS and Deadwood pass all tests.

Hey Sam, I have a question for you. I dont know why I haven't asked before.

You often mention that you support, or perhaps that MaraDNS is supported
on, or designed for, Scientific Linux, or certified for use on
Scientific Linux or CentOs/Redat... something like that.

I don't really understand that.

I mean, I can understand you saying, MaraDNS' requirements are as
follows: this lib >= version x.x.x; that lib, any version; Linux kernel
x.x.x w/blah compiled in or support for blah module,

But basically, MaraDNS runs on any modern Linux distro - compile,
install, run. It has nothing really to do with any particular distro.

I run MaraDNS and Deadwood on debian, CentOS, Slackware, Gentoo,
Sorcerer, and a couple of others. No problem.

So why the impression that it doesn't run on Linux, unless one is using
only certain distributions - you don't even list the versions of those
Distros for the Linux OS, and I kinda doubt it would run on Redhat 4.2
or Redhat 5.1 - versions that existed long before there was even a
Fedora distro.

Can you shed some light on the reasons for explaining supported
platforms that way?

> unless a critical security bug with a CVE number is found.

Nice of you to say that, but really, how often does that happen lol.
It's not like we're talking about BIND ;)

Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services