No subject

Wed May 23 04:33:03 EDT 2007

---

On April 28, 2007, Valkonen warned the Arch Linux maintainers of
possible legal action because the (unofficial) Arch User Repository
contained scripts to install Ion3 with patches he did not approve of.
Later on he did the same with the pkgsrc maintainer of the NetBSD
project and the ports maintainer of the FreeBSD project. As of
December 12, 2007, the development branch of Ion, along with other
software by Valkonen, was pulled from the FreeBSD ports tree, after
the author filed a complaint about outdated development releases still
being available. Any version of Ion may still be installed from source
code on any Unix system with proper libraries and dependencies.

---

As it turns out, I completely understand some of his frustration.
This is an all-too-common scenario that has happened to me:

* I make a release of MaraDNS.

* Someone sends me an email about a bug in MaraDNS.

* Meanwhile, MaraDNS is packaged in to OpenBSD/Debian/Ubuntu/whatever.

* I fix the bug.

* The maintainers of the OpenBSD/Debian/Ubuntu/etc. package don't
incorporate my bugfix in the version of MaraDNS included with their
program.

* I get more email about the bug which I have already fixed.

Very annoying (but, of course, allowed in the license).  I finally
resolved it (and the people asking for features and the people asking
me to fix problems on unsupported ports of MaraDNS and...) by no
longer accepting personal email about MaraDNS, barring "I've found
this security problem in MaraDNS" type email.

- Sam

Note: If you send me a MaraDNS-related support question, I reserve the
right to post your support email to the Mara-DNS mailing list so that
the community at large can examine your issue. MaraDNS security
vulnerability reports, however, will be kept confidential.