New MaraDNS install & New user getting Unexpected character errors on load.

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Mon Aug 4 13:03:09 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,

> 1st Question: The server has two IP addresses; but it clearly has just 1
> mararc file and 1 maradns directory. The maradns directory is empty except
> for two zone files and the original sample mararc file (which is unused).
> The mararc file that IS being used is /etc/mararc. Should we be running
> TWO
> copies of maradns to serve the two IP addresses involved? Or, since both
> IP's are served by the same hardware and software is one running copy of
> maradns enough? I'm assuming one copy is enough.

Yup, one copy is enough. As the log of your now working server shows:

myserver:/etc# /usr/sbin/maradns
 Log: Root directory changed
 Log: Binding to address 219.18.180.68, 219.18.180.69

Maradns should be listening and answering on both addresses now.

> 2nd Question: ANSWERED! :-)

Glad to hear that fixed it :)

> 3rd Question: WHY is maradns processing the homeontherange zone file
> BEFORE
> it processes the mydnshost.com file? That's not the order they're defined
> in
> in mararc.

I believe maradns processes the files in alphabetical order based on the
filename. It shouldn't make a difference to you though as there are no
fine to have a file showing ns.mydnshost.com as the nameserver before the
mydnshost.com zone file has been loaded.

Kind regards,

Remco Rijnders