Problem with .fr domains [TEST check if server is really recursive]: answer refused from server (IN/SOA: fr.)

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 04:26:58 EDT 2009

> Actually, this may be a case of checking the RA flag.  RD/RA has always
> been a hack with MaraDNS' code; I'll look at it tomorrow.  Time to go to
> bed, it has been a very long day.

OK, before signing off: The RA (Recursion Available) bit echoes the RD
(Recursion desired) bit; this is needed so MaraDNS works with some
brain-dead DNS code when running as a recursive DNS server.

Can you recompile MaraDNS?  The patch to change things so RA is always zero
is pretty small, but you need to be able to recompile MaraDNS to use it.

What I can do is fix some issues and release MaraDNS 1.3.14:

* Change js_str code to use <stdint.h> type fixed-length integers (this is
the only way to use those type of integers and have the code compile on
multiple platforms)

* Have it, so if MaraDNS is compiled as an authoritative-only DNS server, RA
is always set to zero.  This will fix the problem with the anal and annoying
French registrar who wastes their time caring about what this bit says, and
refusing to register domains who have this set to 1 but don't have
recursion.

Timeframe: Whenever I get around to it.  If you can't wait, just change one
line in MaraDNS.c and one line in udpsuccess.c that say "header.ra = rd_val"
to say "header.ra = 0".

- Sam

I do not answer MaraDNS support requests sent by private email without being
compensated for my time. I will discuss rates if you want this kind of
support. Thank you for your understanding.