Problem with .fr domains [TEST check if server is really recursive]: answer refused from server (IN/SOA: fr.)

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 10:42:19 EDT 2009

> * Have it, so if MaraDNS is compiled as an authoritative-only DNS server,
> RA is always set to zero.  This will fix the problem with the anal and
> annoying French registrar who wastes their time caring about what this bit
> says, and refusing to register domains who have this set to 1 but don't have
> recursion.

Actually, looking at the code this morning, this is almost always true.  If
the remote server sends a query, and are not allowed to make recursive
queries -or- MaraDNS is compiled as an authoritative-only DNS server, the RA
bit will always be set to zero except when giving out "this host is not
here" replies.

Since the RA bit is still causing problems, what I can do is make the
heuristics even better; if recursive_acl isn't set (or MaraDNS is compiled
with "./configure --authonly ; make", the RA bit should *always* be zero.

This will be a non-issue in MaraDNS 2.0; in that release, I am going to have
the authoritative part of MaraDNS always return a RA of 0, and have RD
generally be a reflection of the RD bit sent to the server.

The big issue in MaraDNS 2.0 is that it won't be possible, in that release,
to have the same IP make both authoritative and recursive DNS queries.
MaraDNS 2.0 will have a complete rewrite of the recursive code; it's
currently a non-recursive caching DNS server (you can use upstream_servers
but not root_servers in the code) and I'm actively developing it:

http://maradns.blogspot.com/search/label/Deadwood