Hostnames on an internal subnet that also resolve in public DNS

Tom Harrison tharrison at digitaladvisor.com
Wed Feb 11 09:25:54 EST 2009

Thanks Ken,

Running an additional DNS server is not practical in our environment
(which is Amazon EC2) for several reasons.  Amazon EC2 provides their
own internal server to resolve their own internal addresses, as well
as recursive DNS requests for public addresses from within the cloud.
Also our SOA name server for publicly routable names and addresses is
hosted elsewhere.

I could accomplish everything I need by updating /etc/hosts on all of
the servers, but this is not practical when you have multiple domains
and an increasingly large number of servers that come and go. Having a
single point of management, MaraDNS, becomes essential.

So maybe my question could be rephrased as follows.  Is it possible to
configure MaraDNS to provide the same functionality of /etc/hosts?
Specifically:

1) preferential name resolution to a locally routable address of a
some hosts on our domains,

2) gracefully passes unresolved requests along to the public/recursive
DNS server provided by our ISP,

3) even if some of the addresses are on the same domain as those we
manage with MaraDNS.

Thanks all!

Tom