Too long subdomain string?

Yassen Damyanov yd at troyer.co.at
Fri Mar 6 12:45:53 EST 2009

Hello to all on maradns list,

(I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to ask the
following question.)

I am a happy user of maradns for a long time, and never had
any issues... until today. I run maradns as an authoritative
DNS server for half a dozen of domains and the following
subdoman configuration did not work:

adivanshoptest.adivan-is.com.      IP.ADD.RE.SS

If I cut for example the first character, the line

divanshoptest.adivan-is.com.      IP.ADD.RE.SS

DOES work fine.

The version reported by the daemon is:

# maradns --version
This is MaraDNS version 1.2.12.09
Compiled on a OpenBSD system at Thu Mar 13 10:34:19 MDT 2008

The question is: does anybody know if maradns implies a length
limit on a segment of the name entry, or if there is any other
reason for this behavior?

Your advice would be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Yassen

--

Yassen Damyanov