Too long subdomain string?

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 13:46:39 EST 2009

> I run maradns as an authoritative
> DNS server for half a dozen of domains and the following
> subdoman configuration did not work:
>
> adivanshoptest.adivan-is.com.      IP.ADD.RE.SS
>
> If I cut for example the first character, the line
>
> divanshoptest.adivan-is.com.      IP.ADD.RE.SS
>
> DOES work fine.
>
> The version reported by the daemon is:
>
> # maradns --version
> This is MaraDNS version 1.2.12.09
> Compiled on a OpenBSD system at Thu Mar 13 10:34:19 MDT 2008

Works for me.  Using maradns-1.2.12.10:

$ cat /etc/mararc
# Example mararc file.
# This only shows a subset of MaraDNS' features needed to be an
# authoritative and recursive name server.  Look at
# detailed/example_full_mararc for an example showing most of
# the features that MaraDNS has.

# Note that this example mararc file will not actually do anything
# without modification.
# Look in the doc/en/examples directory for a working example
# authoritative nameserver, and a working recursive nameserver.

# The various zones we support

# When running in authoritative mode, we must initialize the csv2 hash,
# or MaraDNS will be unable to load any csv2 zone files
csv2 = {}

# This is just to show the format of the file
# Note the this is commented out.  Any line that starts with
# a '#' is not read by the parser.  Remove the leading '#' to
# enable any line that is commented out

# The following line (commented out) tells MaraDNS to look at the
# file db.example.net to get the zone for example.net
#csv2["example.net."] = "db.example.net"
# Naturally, we can have multiple zone files
csv2["example.com."] = "db.example.com"

# The address this DNS server runs on.  If you want to bind
# to multiple addresses, separate them with a comma like this:
# "10.1.2.3, 10.1.2.4, 127.0.0.1"
ipv4_bind_addresses = "127.0.0.4"
# The directory with all of the zone files
chroot_dir = "/etc/maradns"

# If you want to enable recursion on the loopback interface, uncomment
# the following line:
recursive_acl = "127.0.0.1/8"
$ askmara Aadivanshoptest.adivan-is.com. 127.0.0.4
# Querying the server with the IP 127.0.0.4
# Question: Aadivanshoptest.adivan-is.com.
adivanshoptest.adivan-is.com. +86400 a 10.11.12.13
# NS replies:
# AR replies:
$ cat /etc/maradns/db.example.com
adivanshoptest.adivan-is.com.      10.11.12.13

> The question is: does anybody know if maradns implies a length
> limit on a segment of the name entry, or if there is any other
> reason for this behavior?

Yes.  RFC1034/1035 say a DNS label can only be up to 63 characters long.

I do not see this behavior.

- Sam

Note: I do not answer support requests sent by private email without
being compensated for my time.  I will discuss rates if you want this
kind of support.  Thank you for your understanding.