Using MaraDNS as a content filter

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 13:50:50 EST 2009

> We search to make a filter content in the laptop but we have hardware
> limitations. Then we contact OpenDNS but we can make modifications that we
> need because Spanish language and we don´t like the advertisement page when
> a domain is blocked (the page is fine but all the Google advertisement is
> not suitable). After surfing a lot we found Mara.

My opinion of OpenDNS:  I sent them my resume.  They never got back to
me.  Not exactly impressive.

> It´s possible to do this with Mara???

I just added a FAQ entry yesterday:

http://www.maradns.org/faq.html#phishing

46. Can MaraDNS offer protection from phishing and malicious sites?

Yes.

Here is a webpage that explains how its done:

http://www.malwaredomains.com/?p=288

> I can update the malware list with the list of urlblacklist.org ???

Probably.  Can you program in Perl?  There's a ready-made script to do
this with malwaredomains.org (see above=; it shouldn't be too
difficult to modify it to work with other blacklists.  Converting it
is left as an exercise for the reader.  :)

- Samuel