Deadwood 2.9.02 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:05:33 EDT 2010

I had the pleasure, last night, of finally meeting Kai Hendry, who has
been in change of MaraDNS for Debian for many years.  While we were
talking, I was mentioning that Deadwood is feature complete but not
fully tested, and asked if he would be up to packaging it up for
Debian so we can get some more testing done for it.

He told me he would; I told him Deadwood 2.9.02 would be out soon
fixing all known Deadwood bugs which he could package up for Debian.
But he said it would be best if I could get Deadwood 2.9.02 out the
door soon.

So, that in mind, Deadwood 2.9.02 has been released today.  I got it
ready quickly, but this is no rush job.  All known bugs are fixed.  As
far as I know, Deadwood 2.9.02 has no bugs.  Zero.  Zilch.

So it’s up to you all to prove me wrong and find some bugs in
Deadwood.  Is the documentation not explaining something as well as it
should?  File it as a bug.

Does Deadwood crash in a way that can be reproduced?  File it as a
bug.  If you can’t reproduce the crash nor have a stack trace, I will
just assume you’re pulling my chain by pretending Deadwood crashes
when it really doesn’t, and mark the bug as “unreproducible”.

Did you find a memory leak using Valgrind or what not?  File it as a
bug.  Note that Valgrind will report errors unless compiled with
-DVALGRIND_NOERRORS.  To answer your next question, that is because
Deadwood uses, as one of its entropy sources, an uninitialized string.

How to file a bug:  Deadwood is a small enough project that there is
no bug tracking system (not having bugs does minimize the need for a
bug tracking system :).  Bug reports can be reported one, and only one
way: By posting to this mailing list.  Emails with bug reports will
get you the “give me money or take it to the list” form reply.  Blog
comments with bug reports will not be approved (I moderate blog
comments).

So, guys, please download and use Deadwood 2.9.02, to show me that my
rather arrogant claim of having no bugs in Deadwood is wrong.

It can be downloaded for both CentOS 5 (OK, it should compile in other
*NIX systems, but I’m not dealing with your FreeBSD issues or whatever
without money coming my way) and Windows XP (as well as Vista and
Windows 7) here:

http://maradns.org/deadwood/testing/

- Sam

Note: I do not answer MaraDNS (including Deadwood) support requests
sent by private email without being compensated for my time. A MaraDNS
support request is any and all discussion you may wish to have about
MaraDNS in private email; if you want to email me to talk about
MaraDNS then, yes, that is a support request. I will discuss rates if
you want this kind of support. Thank you for your understanding.

MaraDNS security vulnerability reports, however, will be dealt with
without charge and kept confidential. If you don't know what Bugtraq
is, then, no, your email is not a security report. It is not a
security report unless you've done due diligence to determine how the
security bug you think you found can reasonably be exploited.