MaraDNS 1.4.04 released

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 04:23:20 EDT 2010

Now that Deadwood is feature-complete, I have released MaraDNS 1.4.04.
This is the most current stable release of MaraDNS; if using an older
MaraDNS, please update to this release (yes, I ran a bunch of SQA
tests so anything that worked before should work in 1.4.04).

While the old recursive code is still in place to allow people to
slowly make the transition to using Deadwood as their recursive DNS
server, Deadwood 2.9.02 is included. The Windows version of MaraDNS
has had its documentation updated to encourage people to use Deadwood
instead of MaraDNS; I will also start nudging *NIX users along.

I have also made a tool for getting entropy from the OS and putting it
in a file. This is currently a very simple tool; it makes a random
64-byte file called secret.txt which MaraDNS and Deadwood can use. It
acts like a UNIX command: There is no user interface; when it is run,
it just silently creates the 64-byte random secret.txt file,
overwriting any already existing secret.txt, and only outputting
something if something goes wrong.

It’s a lot better than the old “just type in some random text to make
secret.txt” directions I have given. I plan on making it a little more
friendly (failing if secret.txt already exists, and stating the
secret.txt file has been created, and always pausing and having the
user hit a key so they know what the program is doing if called from
the GUI.)

In addition, I fixed the bug with delegation NS records and ANY
queries, as well as incorporating a NAPTR bugfix I made a few months
ago in to the code. There is a full changelog at maradns.org.

It can be looked at here:

http://maradns.org/download.html

Or here: