Nameserver issues

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue Feb 1 11:13:04 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 04:16:23PM +0200, Shaan wrote:
>Where I'm getting confused is, is how do I get ns1.example.com and ns2 to be
>the nameservers for the domain?
>
>The domain is with namecheap, where I have the A record pointing to
>#.#.#.50, and I have registered the nameservers at namecheap, with ns1
>pointing to #.#.#.50 and ns2 pointing to #.#.#.51.
>
>I've added the required entry in mararc to point to the db file, and in the
>db file I just have
>
>ns1.example.com. NS #.#.#.50
>ns2.example.com. NS #.#.#.51
>
>Is that all that needs to be done or am I still missing something?

Hi Shaan,

If you have registered the domain through namecheap, they should allow you
to point the nameservers to your chosen nameservers and IP addresses. That
is, you don't have to do anything on your server or with maradns to do
this, but have to arrange this through the registrar.

You can check what the current nameservers for your domain are set to by
doing:

whois domain.co.za

from a linux shell prompt, or by using a whois webinterface such as at
http://whois.domaintools.com/ (on the registration tab).

It is possible that you first have to register your nameservers with
namecheap before you can use them for your domains, but that depends on
their policies and interfaces.

If you're still stuck on this, contact namecheap support as they should be
able to help you further with this.

Sincerely,

Remco