Nameserver issues

Shaan shaanlumley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:10:59 EST 2011

Hi there

I'm sorry if I sound like a noob with this, but I have honestly and
genuinely tried to figure this out myself with no luck.

At the moment, I have example.com registered at Namecheap, with the host
records pointing my VPS. The A record for the domain is pointing to the main
IP of the VPS. I've then also registered ns1.example.com and
ns2.example.comto the main and secondary IP's of the VPS.

On the VPS I've installed MaraDNS and got it running, with the most basic
settings:
csv2 = {}
bind_address = "#.#.#.50, #.#.#.51"
chroot_dir = "/etc/maradns"
no_fingerprint = 0

What I'm trying to achieve is, is to have Namecheap handle the DNS for
.com's, .net's. etc but MaraDNS handle DNS for .co.za's. So what I'd like to
be able to do is use the VPS to host the nameservers ns1.example.com and
ns2.example.com for the .co.za's.

The .co.za's need 2 nameservers to be registered, and do not work with
Namecheaps FreeDNS at all!

Is it even possible to do this with MaraDNS, and if so how could I get it
working?

Thankyou in advance :)

Shaan