Nameserver issues

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Fri Jan 28 01:35:37 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:10:59PM +0200, Shaan wrote:
>At the moment, I have example.com registered at Namecheap, with the host
>records pointing my VPS. The A record for the domain is pointing to the main
>IP of the VPS. I've then also registered ns1.example.com and
>ns2.example.comto the main and secondary IP's of the VPS.
>
>On the VPS I've installed MaraDNS and got it running, with the most basic
>settings:
>csv2 = {}
>bind_address = "#.#.#.50, #.#.#.51"
>chroot_dir = "/etc/maradns"
>no_fingerprint = 0
>
>What I'm trying to achieve is, is to have Namecheap handle the DNS for
>.com's, .net's. etc but MaraDNS handle DNS for .co.za's. So what I'd like to
>be able to do is use the VPS to host the nameservers ns1.example.com and
>ns2.example.com for the .co.za's.
>
>The .co.za's need 2 nameservers to be registered, and do not work with
>Namecheaps FreeDNS at all!
>
>Is it even possible to do this with MaraDNS, and if so how could I get it
>working?
>
>Thankyou in advance :)

Hi Shaan,

Yes, maradns can do this for you. In fact, MaraDNS can serve any kind of
DNS record for any kind of hostname, whether that's a real registered
domain name or just something you made up (though, the latter obviously
never would resolve for outside parties).

Once you manage to have ns1.example.com and ns2 as the nameservers for
your domain, your DNS servers should be queried for any example.co.za
records.

Please note that some registrars have quite specific rules on what can and
can't be set as a nameserver for your domain. Possible speedbumps they
might introduce is checking the intended nameservers to see if they indeed
have the zone in question, check serial numbers, check that you don't
register an IPv6 only nameserver, etc. etc. I'm not sure if anything like
this exists for .za registrations.

See the documentation on www.maradns.org how to create the zone file for
example.co.za . Using tools such as dig or nslookup you can check the
records on your server to see if they work as intended before changing the
nameservers over to yours.

If you continue to experience issues, please write again and include
specifics on any errors you might get, software versions used, etc.

Sincerely,

Remco