[MaraDNS list] Discussion: Putting ads on the MaraDNS web page

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Jul 3 20:01:09 EDT 2011

Sam,
I am certainly interested. However, what I would be happier with are:

1. a documented full fledge current MaraDNS off-the-shelf compilation
suite installer. i.e.

- a bundled zip file of the current version and adequate Windows
compilers (or URL to the most recent acceptable version) you can
download on a machine or on a USB key
- a script to compile MaraDNS under Linux/MinGW/Cygwin and install it
with a ready to run sample configuration.
- hopefully a Bind.db format support.

The document should come with MaraDNS

- architectural blocks and function descriptions.
- help you would like to get from external developper.
- a part to would-be developpers.

This is to permit a student, a medium level developper to best try
and discuss MaraDNS with fellow students and FLOSS discussion lists.
And teachers to give an half-hour introduction to MaraDNS and to its
code with little preparation.

I am ready to translate the documentation in French if you can
compact a clear document in four pages.

2. I have a crazy OS in view.

It would be to integrate MaraDNS into an Inferno OS package. I do not
know yet much of Inferno. It seems not much supported, however its
architecture seems to fit many of the architectural needs I identify
for the extended vision of the Internet we identified last year. Its
origin is the most brillant one as an operational, commercial grade
Plan 9, i.e. the Bell Labs successor to Unix. Making it the networked
successor to Linux ?

3. In terms of IPv6 I am interested in RFC 6296. As an IUser
(Intelligent Internet Use user) I support Fred Backer (Cisco is a
good name :-)) and Margaret Wasserman concepts but whish to integrate
them into the ... DNS in using digital names. Not much different from
internationalized names but relating to an IDv6 (IPv6 local IID)
rather than to a chinese name.

I do think that much of these concepts and extensions (part of the
alfaDNS project) could be discussed if and until you can review or
assist them. At the same time it would advertise MaraDNS. My main
interest in an alfaDNS "fork that would not be a real fork" but an
extperimental extension, is a different name that would serve as a
lightning rod. So experienced errors would not to be associated to
the "MaraDNS" brand. And to the countrary showing that only the
robustness of MaraDNS makes it acceptable as a DNS experimental
test-bed for all.

jfc

PS. I mailed $ 100 and I would suggest others do the same. Our common interest.