[MaraDNS list] Discussion: Putting ads on the MaraDNS web page

Mike Sands MSands at EPLUS.com
Fri Jul 8 08:40:54 EDT 2011

Sam
  Here's the way I see it. I get a great software package for dns services that is significantly easier to deal with than bind or djbdns for free and for that I have to see a few text ads on your site? It's a no-brainer put up the ads and support your work. I don't consider the text only ads to be intrusive enough in bandwidth or in site design to consider them spam.

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at maradns.org [mailto:list-bounces at maradns.org] On Behalf Of Sam Trenholme
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:15 PM
To: MaraDNS support mailing list
Subject: Re: [MaraDNS list] Discussion: Putting ads on the MaraDNS web page

> I like the idea of PayPal, Payson, and other donate buttons. They may or
> may not bring in much, but they certainly bring it to you instead of
> relying upon the affiliate SPAMming that ads are.

There is, in fact, a donate button on MaraDNS's web page.  I reinstated it
back in May: http://aem2.vk.tj As it turns out, I didn't get a single
donation in all of May nor June, which was one of the things that motivated
me to put text-only ads on MaraDNS' web page.

I will get back to the idea that using ads to support a website is "SPAM"
later on.

> At one time years ago, I had Amazon links for the "DNS and BIND" book,
> and a couple of others which I myself read, used, and recommended. It
> didn't bring in a dime.
[...]
> Perhaps Adsense is a good program, a lot of people do it.

I'm not making much with my Adsense ads, but it is enough to cover hosting
costs, and, if I'm lucky, I might be able to take my wife out to dinner once
a month with the money I am getting.

> There are lots of avenues you can use to have your product available for
> online ordering, so I won't bother to make a dozen recommendations here.

I'm curious what kind of product you would like to see me sell.  Are you
thinking of a CD-R in a jewel case with Nicholas Bamber's MaraDNS logo on
the front?  Perhaps I can sell mugs at cafepress.com with this logo?
 Another possibility is making a book with all of MaraDNS' documentation,
but there would be some labor involved getting the book together--which
would necessitate me making the book non-Free.

> in regards to ad SPAMming

"Spam" is a word that has different meanings to different people.  I define
"spam" as an advertisement that I have to pay for.  Let's compare some
economic models for advertisements:

Economic model              Paid for by        Benefits
Web ad (unmetered internet) Advertiser         A,W,V
Web ad (metered internet)   Advertiser, viewer A,W,V
Webpage viewed with adblock Webmaster          Viewer
Usenet spam                 Usenet provdider   Advertiser
Email spam                  Email server       Advertiser