[MaraDNS list] MaraDNS2 and FreeBSD

Sam Trenholme maradns at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 20:37:57 EST 2012

>  1) Do you like to package deadwood and maradns2 together or do you
> rather like to see them as two separate packages? I would personally
> vote for the second option as one could now use Deadwood without
> running MaraDNS, but it is your call to make.

I agree--they really are two separate packages.  The main reason that
I bundle Deadwood with MaraDNS 2 is so MaraDNS 2 has the same level of
functionality as MaraDNS 1 (albeit across two separate programs)

>  2) I am currently hacking ./configure to get rid of the
> not-supported-os warning; see the attached configure.patch Do I need
> to run some test-suites to mark it officially supported under FreeBSD?

To paraphrase "The Princess Bride":  "Support".  You keep using that
word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Support has two distinct definitions:

1) The program compiles and runs on a given OS.

2) I am responsible for answering any and all questions someone may
have about running MaraDNS/Deadwood on said OS.

I am willing to add a separate Makefile to compile MaraDNS in FreeBSD.
 Actually, Nicholas Bamber has already done so; I added it to MaraDNS
2.0.05.  What I am not willing to do is answer questions people may
have about FreeBSD on this mailing list, because, well, I don't run
FreeBSD. [2]

The only supported OSes for MaraDNS are Windows and Red Hat Enterprise
Linux derivatives.

>  3) The FreeBSD default location for add-on packages is
> /usr/local/sbin/maradns, how-ever this is rather lengthy in the
> syslog. Maybe the patch as found in the dns/maradns port of FreeBSD
> (credits to  n j <nino80 at gmail.com> [1] ), to trim the path off is
> interesting to look at. It is attached as tools_duende.c.patch

The version of Duende you should patch is Nicholas Bamber's version,
which is tools/duende-ng.c.  He may or may not accept your match; when
he does, I will patch that version of Duende.

My website http://maradns.org/

> Thanks for MaraDNS! We love it for it's low-memory footprint, stable
> operation, less-cpu hungry, authoritative abilities and recursive
> resolving abilities.

Thank you for the kind words.

I will gladly include a file with MaraDNS to get MaraDNS to work under
FreeBSD as a single patch file with the name "unsupported" in it, such
as "unsupported-FreeBSD-compile.patch".  This will be placed in the
"build" directory.  The only thing I ask is that I will forward you
any FreeBSD questions people may ask on the MaraDNS mailing list; it
will be your responsibility to answer them.  Or not answer them, as
the case may be.

- Sam

[2] Linux makes more sense for me because the kinds of Virtual Private
Servers that fall within my budget (in other words nodes that are the
cheapest, most overloaded, frequently down because someone else on the
same node is getting a DDOS attack nodes) generally run as OpenVZ
nodes in Linux: http://lowendstock.com